UPDATE AS OF 14 MAR 2016:
Diners Club Philippines cardholders are no longer allowed unlimited access to airport lounges worldwide. The new scheme only allows 1 free lounge access for every P60,000.00 spend. In short, totally not worth it.
On the bright side. Citi PremierMiles cards now allow access to all Plaza Premium lounges worldwide, which now makes it rank 1 on this list!
|My 15 active cards on the left (can’t fit into one wallet with 12 card pockets) and 13 cancelled/replaced cards on the right. I’m surprised I have more active ones!|
These days, I cannot imagine traveling without a credit card. Even prior to leaving for your trip, it’s the most common payment option to guarantee your flight or hotel room. It’s not (primarily) for the purposes of shopping but rather, having an emergency resource should you lose your cash or phone to some unfortunate circumstance. What if I suddenly needed to extend my hotel stay for a few more nights? Or buy a durable piece of luggage that’s on sale if I lack the cash? Ultimately, I know that being in possession of my credit card gives me the assurance that I have the option of immediately booking a flight back home anytime I want to should anything go wrong on my trip.
I know a lot of people who choose to avoid getting credit cards, thereby missing out on the many benefits simply because they believe they can’t control their spending. Overspending is like having an affair. You know you’ll regret it in the end but you still give in to the temptation. Sure, it feels good while you’re doing it, but the pleasure stops as soon as the reality of its consequences sets in. That is why self-control is the name of the game. Don’t think of your credit card as such. Think of it as cash. Granted that you have enough money in your bank account to pay for your intended purchase, would you be willing to shell out that much cash in one transaction? Chances are, you’d be discouraged. This is also the reason why I don’t believe in installments as a payment option, whether it’s 0% interest or not. They’re to trick you into thinking what you’re purchasing isn’t really as heavy on the pocket.As long as you practice self-control, you can constantly enjoy benefits like discounts, airline miles, freebies in exchange for charge slips, lounge access, exclusive sales, etc as you will soon discover below.
Though technically not a travel credit card, it makes the list because I find this card to have one of the fastest ways to earn Mabuhay Miles. As you can see, I’ve already worn out mine from all the swiping. Another reason why I love this card is because it offers freebies in exchange for charge slips of minimal amounts. These promos include redeeming half a dozen cookie nibblers from Mrs. Fields for P1,500. (Valid for spends up to July 31 2014; Claim until Sept 30 2014. I’m sure they’ll renew this promotion soon just as they have before.)
TIP: This is why you do NOT enroll your monthly bills for utilities and mobile plans for the auto-charge feature on your credit card, precisely because you need the physical charge slips (even if it’s an option to have your annual fee waived!)
|I remember really pursuing to be approved for this card.
My persistence paid off when I got to redeem a voucher for a free flight (excluding taxes) to Shanghai.
- Receive advance alerts on seat sales
- Earn never-expiring CEB Points from all purchases (P1 = 1 Point)
- Enjoy free flights without restrictions
- Where 25,000 points can be redeemed for (and in increments of) P250.00 from Cebu Pacific
Having started flying regularly a few years ago thanks to this airline, Cebu Pacific will always have a special place in my heart thanks to its trademark piso fares – indeed allowing every Juan to fly. But I don’t see myself flying with Cebu Pacific forever, especially not on long-haul flights. Sure, they may be expanding their routes to Dubai and Sydney, but I can’t imagine not having any in-flight entertainment or complimentary meals for more than 4 hours. I get bored easily and reading a magazine over and over isn’t fun at all. But with a network made wider by Tiger Airlines, you can expect more advantages of this card and flying with Cebu Pacific.
- Earn 1 Asia Mile for every Php42 spend.
- As an Elite Cardmember, you’ll earn 1,500 Bonus Asia Miles with your very first purchase and upon membership anniversary*.
- Travel Accident Insurance* with coverage of up to Php10 million
- Travel Inconvenience Protection with coverage of up to Php60,000
- Accident Medical Expense with coverage of up to Php50,000 per family
- Airfare sales exclusive for cardholders
BDO’s Cathay Pacific Amex card makes it to number 6 because despite having free travel insurance, it doesn’t have lounge access and its rewards are exclusive to Asia Miles members (although it’s easy to sign up for). But for those who do collect Asia Miles and use them to frequent Hong Kong aboard no less than the world’s best airline, this card is for you. BDO also offers discounts for online hotel bookings made with Agoda and Expedia, making BDO cards perfect for the independent traveler.
- 5% discount on The Travel Club regular-priced items; 20% on your birth month
- 1 rewards point for every P40 you spent at TTC and for every P50 elsewhere, redeemable for Mabuhay Miles
- Waived repair service fee even beyond the warranty period, excluding spare parts
- Waived annual fee for life
- FREE travel insurance
- Loyalty program – Receive 1 mile for every P45 spend. Miles are transferable and do not expire.
- Travel Protection – Get up to P10M (for regular) or P20M (for platinum) travel insurance coverage. Enjoy superior information security through EMV chip technology when traveling the 42 EMV countries.
- Extra Miles – Earn double miles for every purchase of Delta Air Lines tickets using the platinum card.
- Extra Perks – Enjoy pleasant stays at the Delta Sky Club for free
- Airfare sales exclusive for cardholders
- Access to Club Manila Airport Lounge, NAIA Terminal 1
- Every P25 charged to your UnionBank Miles+ Visa Platinum Card earns you 1 Miles+ Rewards Point which you can redeem for:
- Airline Tickets: Fly the airline of your choice when you redeem your points for free airline tickets. No more black out dates, no more redemption fees, no more limited seat allocation.
- Hotels/Resorts and other travel accommodations
- Customized and Regular Travel Packages, tours, land transfers and even travel-related gears!
- Option to transfer your Miles+ Points to Philippine Airlines’ Mabuhay Miles Frequent Flyer Program.
- Your UnionBank Miles+ Rewards Points never expire. We know how you value your security that is why you will be automatically covered with P10 Million when you charge your travel fares to your UnionBank Miles+ Visa Platinum Card. And should your trip be cancelled or if your flight gets delayed or even if you would need emergency medical evacuation in the untimely event of an accident we will take care of your needs.
|My underused PremierMiles Card which I’m in the process of requesting to be converted to a Platinum card to take advantage of the lower peso to point ratio.|
- Redeem flights from over 60 airline choices or rebates on all travel spend
- Most getaways, free. Your card brings you closer to vacations you deserve. Every P30 (for PremierMiles Platinum) or P40 (for PremierMiles) you spend on your card earns you 1 PremierMile
- Never-expiring miles. Take full control of your miles. Accumulate and keep them for as long as you want, until you decide to exchange them for free flights.
- Over 60 airline choices. Enjoy the widest selection by redeeming air miles of your preferred frequent flyer program – Asia Miles, Executive Club, KrisFlyer, Mabuhay Miles, Royal Orchid Plus, SkyMiles, Etihad Guest, Evergreen/ Infinity Mileagelands, Garuda Frequent Flyer, and Enrich at a rate of 1 PremierMile to 1 air mile.
- VIP lounge access. Simply present your card to enjoy complimentary airport lounge access at MIASCOR in NAIA Terminal 1 – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – regardless of the airline or class you fly
- Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance. From the point of departure to the point of arrival at your destination, effective June 1, 2014, you are covered up to P5 million (for PremierMiles) or P10 million (for PremierMiles Platinum) in case of loss of life due to accidents
- Travel Inconvenience Protection
- Missed Flight Protection
- Delayed/Cancelled Flight Cancellation
- Delayed Luggage Protection
- Lost Luggage Protection
- Enjoy FREE access to Diners Club’s more than 500 airport and business lounges in major cities all over the world including Miascor in NAIA Terminal 1 and Davao Airport; Pahuygstop Lounge also in NAIA 1
- Earn Evergreen Rewards Points (Php 20 = 1 Point)
- Exclusive Travel and Dining Deals from Diners Club and SB Cards
- Free travel insurance, like all Security Bank cards have